Betty Anne Younker, University of Western Ontario
Chair, Professional Development Committee
The Professional Development Committee has been quite active over the last year reviewing proposals as they were submitted via the various deadlines as found online and advertised. For pre-conference workshops as part of the 2015 CMS Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, proposals received no later than March 1st, 2014, were reviewed and discussed by the committee members. For the 2014 Spring/Summer Professional Development Events, proposals received no later than September 10, 2013, were reviewed and discussed by the committee members.
The goals included:
- Ensuring that the Spring/Summer Professional Development Events available to the memberships would be beneficial across disciplines.
- Ensuring that the pre-conference workshops reflected recent developments in the profession and of interest across disciplines.
- Endorsement of Spring/Summer Professional Development Events: The Savvy musician in ACTION, to be held June 3-7, 2015.
- Approval of 2014 Pre-Conference Workshops
- “Out on a Limb: Understanding and experiencing the cognitive and practical benefits of improvisation” a half-day pre-conference workshop before the 2014 Annual Meeting of the College Music Society
- “Pathways to a More Relevant Curriculum: TF-UMM Recommendations in Action” a half-day pre-conference workshop before the 2014 Annual Meeting of the College Music Society
- Ongoing work - The committee began work on the Professional Development Handbook as found on the Website; work continues.
- Involvement of the membership
We encourage the membership to continue to submit proposals that are disciplinary-based as well as cross disciplinary-based. The committee looks forward to hearing from the membership about proposals that will engage the membership in rich and meaningful ways.