The College Music Society invites participation in an international conversation concerning the education of musicians in the 21st Century - CREATING MUSIC CURRICULA OF THE FUTURE: TRADITION, INNOVATION, AND RELEVANCE.
Exploring change through bold innovation
- provide forums to explore curricular innovation
- form a consortium of departments, conservatories, and schools of music to examine curricular and degree-program innovations
- disseminate emerging ideas though the new publication series Pedagogies & Innovation in Music (PIM). PIM will include short books and manuals concerning pedagogical discovery and innovative approaches to learning and pedagogy.
Transforming the education of musicians
CMCF will provide opportunities to collaborate in developing
- pedagogies and curricula built on current research based in music psychology
- learning across the lifespan
- music technologies, business and industries
- bridges that connect communities of music
- creativity, curiosity, and imagination
- education for agency
Accelerating change in the education of musicians
CMCF will help accelerate change in the education of musicians through forums in which ideas, research, projects, and tools are shared with the intent to work toward innovative music curricula.
How to Participate
The College Music Society welcomes your participation in the CMCF program. Please consider the following means of participating:
- add your name to the CMCF mailing list in the left column to register your interest and receive program updates.
- gather a few colleagues and create a Task Force to address a topic of interest. Submit a report of your deliberations to CMS Forums in College Music Symposium.
- write an article and submit it to CMS Forums in College Music Symposium.
- develop a survey of the music and higher education community on an aspect of future curricula. CMS can help with survey creation and dissemination.
- develop a webinar, or series of webinars, to explore curricular models.
- send a proposal for consideration for CMS Conferences and Events.
CMCF will form a consortium of music schools of diverse types and structures and offer workshops, forums, and symposia.
CMCF will form a consortium of music organizations of diverse specialties to prompt international dialogue and offer forums at conferences.
National Conference: MUSICCHANGE2019
Cultivating a community of innovation: Reimagining education in music
July 18-20, 2019, Nashville, Tennessee, in cooperation with the CMS-NAMM Summer Program for Music Faculty, NAMM Foundation, and Summer NAMM Show
MUSICCHANGE2019 will provide a forum for forging communities of innovation to drive the creation and implementation of transformational change in music pedagogy and curricula. This conference will build on the 21st Century Music Schools Summit (June 2016) and the Undergraduate Task Force Report. A call for program participation will be forthcoming.