Music Vacancy List
The Music Vacancy List now includes a category for graduate assistantships! Institutions that wish to reach highly trained and educated students will find the MVL to be a valuable means of posting assistantships and attracting graduate students. You do not need to be a member of CMS to place an assistantship ad in the MVL.
The current circulation is approximately 7,000 musicians.
Placing an Assistantship Advertisement
Methods of submission:
- Submit online (CMS secure server). You do NOT need to log in as a member of CMS to place an ad in the Music Vacancy List; or
- E-mail the ad to . CMS will place the information in appropriate database format; or
- Send the ad to CMS by mail:
The College Music Society
ATTN: Music Vacancy List
312 East Pine Street
Missoula, MT 59802 USA
CMS does not accept advertisements over the telephone or by fax.
The cost for an initial listing is based on the pricing structure below. Unless you specify otherwise, your advertisement will be included in the Music Vacancy List as soon as possible. It will appear in one weekly e-mail distribution and will be available to the Society's members via the online searchable database.
- One assistantship: $100
- 2-5 assistantships: $150
- 6-10 assistantships: $200
If advertising for 12 assistantships, the total would be $350.00.
If the assistantships are an unspecified number in one category involving multiple specializations (Wording Example: "Multiple assistantships available in a variety of disciplines...") please follow the 2-5 Assistantships pricing structure.
If there are a specific number of assistantships under multiple specializations (5 available in Music Theory, 3 available is Piano Perf, 6 available in Ethno) please price by total categories, not total numbers available.
Include your advertisement in subsequent weekly email distributions at the following rates:
- One assistantship: $50/week
- 2-5 assistantships: $75/week
- 6-10 assistantships: $100/week
- Credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover)
- Purchase order
- Check requisition number
- Prepaid check
CMS will send a copy of the listing to you after it has been distributed, as well as your receipt.
Deadlines and Distribution
- Weekly by Email — The deadline is always Thursday at 12:00 p.m. Mountain Time. The weekly email is received by CMS members each Friday.
- Online Searchable Database — Advertisements are entered when received into the database and remain there until the application deadline has passed. (When no specific deadline exists, the listing remains one month. The listing may be renewed.) CMS members may search the online database at any time.
- Hard Copy — An individual hard copy is on file at CMS and is provided upon request.
MVL Advertising Policy
For further information and guidance, please consult the following:
If you have questions or require assistance in placing an MVL listing, please get in touch with CMS as follows:
Professional Notices by E-Mail
CMS makes available to institutions the means of sending an email designed by you containing graduate assistantship announcements to the individual e-mail addresses of the Society's databases.
Lists by Specialization
You can choose from 164 different lists, depending on the music specializations of your target audience. When choosing multiple lists, they will be merged to eliminate duplicate addresses. Talk with a CMS representative to find out which lists might be best for your mailing or to determine the exact count and cost of your chosen lists.
CMS will distribute your announcement the following ways:
- Via an initial email broadcast to the specialty list(s) of your choosing. This distribution is your announcement alone to individual email addresses. No bulk mailing lists are ever used.
- Through a monthly email broadcast to members of The College Music Society. This distribution is mailed on the first day of each month and includes a paragraph summary for all notices sent during the previous month. The paragraph includes a ‘read more’ link which leads back to the original email announcement.
CMS does not release email address lists to anyone. The notices are sent from the CMS office. Statistics, including open rates and click-through rates, are compiled one week after the mailing and you may request that a copy be sent to you.
The price of this service includes both distributions, ensuring the broadest possible communication with musicians in higher education.
Your email can be submitted to CMS in the following ways:
- Best method: Submit an HTML file with inline CSS* from the email announcement designed by you or your web designer. Email as an attachment to .
*What is inline CSS? Read about it here.
- Good method: Send the email announcement you want to distribute directly to . It is especially beneficial if your email includes a ‘view this message online’ link. Note: If you don’t have a web designer, CMS recommends joining a free service like MailChimp, Mad Mimi, or Constant Contact that allows you to design your own email and send us a copy.
Terms and Conditions
E-notice customers will be required to agree to the terms and conditions of this service when placing an order.
Pricing and Billing
CMS accepts all major credit cards, purchase orders, and pre-paid checks. Payment information including the billing address is required at the time you place your order.
The cost of the professional e-mail notice service is per address based on the number of addresses in the lists you choose (see pricing chart below). In order to have an accurate quote for your order, it is best to contact a CMS customer representative.
- less than 1,000 addresses @ $.30 each;
- 1,001 - 2,000 addresses @ $.25 each;
- 2,001 - 4,000 addresses @ $.20 each.
- 4,001 - 6,000 addresses @ $.19 each.
- 6,001 - 8,000 addresses @ $.18 each.
- 8,001 - 10,000 addresses @ $.17 each.
- 10,001 - 12,000 addresses @ $.16 each.
- 12,001 - 14,000 addresses @ $.15 each.
- 14,001 -16,000 addresses @ $.14 each.
- 16,001 - 18,000 addresses @ $.13 each.
- 18,001 - 20,000 addresses @ $.12 each.
- over 20,000 addresses @ $.10 each.
The minimum order is $175.00.
If you have questions, would like to discuss your project and target audience, would like to obtain prices for specific lists, or wish to place an order, please get in touch with CMS:
Phone: (800) 729-0235 or (406) 721-9616