Registrants and companions are asked to sign up for one option in each city no later than 12 pm Mountain Time on Thursday, May 30. Availability for each tour is limited and spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Those who have not signed up by the deadline will be assigned at random to remaining slots.
Note: If a traveling companion will join you for a tour, please enter their name during the sign-up process and select a quantity of “2.”
BRUSSELS: Thursday, July 11
All Brussels tours will begin and end at the Marriott Hotel Grand Place. Registrants are asked to select 1 of the following walking tours:
Tour 1: Guided Tour of the Magritte Museum
The Musée Magritte houses 230 works (the world’s largest collection) of renowned surrealist artist René Magritte. The multidisciplinary space houses paintings, gouaches, drawings, sculptures and painted objects, as well as advertising posters, musical scores, photographs and films.
Tour 2: Guided Tour of the Musical Instruments Museum
In a beautifully restored complex in Brussels, of which one part is Art Nouveau and the other is Neoclassical in design, the Musical Instruments Museum (now known as “MIM”) displays a collection of more than 1,100 historical and modern musical instruments, one of the richest in the world.
Tour 3: City Highlights & Delights
This guided walking tour of Brussels includes stops at the famous Manneken Pis statue, Comic Strip Walls, Market Square, Royal Galleries, as well as tastings of culinary specialties for which Brussels is known.
GHENT: Saturday, July 13
All Ghent walking tours begin at the Ghent Marriott Hotel and will pass by the HoGent (our conference venue), Belfry, Sint Baafs Cathedral, and Graffiti Street. Along the way, each group will make a few culinary stops to taste some regional specialties. In addition, registrants should sign up for 1 of the following specialty tour enhancements:
Add-on A: Gravensteen
Visit the medieval Castle of the Counts of Flanders and learn of its turbulent history.
Add-on B: Sint Baafskathedraal & Town Hall
View the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb by the Van Eyck brothers inside Sint Baafs Cathedral and enjoy the impressive architecture and wedding chapel of Ghent’s Town Hall.
Add-on C: Boat Tour on the Leie
Gain a different perspective of the city of Emperor Charles V and discover its hidden secrets from its canals on board a private boat.
BRUGES: Wednesday, July 17
All Bruges walking tours depart from the Burg Square. Guides will show delegates the highlights of Bruges and share stories of its rich history and inhabitants. Stops include Market Square, the Beguinage, Lake of Love, Old Saint John’s Hospital, and Church of our Lady. Special highlights organized for the CMS conference include:
- An early music performance by Duo Ultreya in the medieval palace Hof Bladelin.
- Refreshments in the fairy-tale garden of artist David De Graef’s 15th century home, as well as a demonstration of the artist’s technique.
- An exploration of the world of chocolate from bean to bar, including a tasting, with master chocolatier Fangio De Baets.
- A stop at a traditional pub where you can learn to play the old-fashioned game of Toptafel.
All tours will make all stops in rotation; however, registrants must divide into smaller groups due to venue size. Registrants are asked to place themselves into 1 of 6 tour groups.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR A TOUR GROUP
- Click here to see a list of tour options (you will be redirected to the SignUpGenius website). Clicking on the tabs at the top of the page will display the tour options for each city.
- For each tab, tick the box next to the group you wish to join, then click the “Submit and Sign Up” button at the bottom of the screen.
IMPORTANT: If you create a free account with SignUpGenius before making your selections, you will be able to return later and make edits to, or delete, your choices. To create an account, click the “Log In” button in the upper, righthand portion of the page. From the login page, select “New account” and enter the requested information.
- You will now be asked to select the number of persons in your party up and enter their name(s) in the provided field. Please remember that couples traveling together must select a quantity of "2."
- After answering the questions on this page, click the “Sign Up Now” button to reserve your choice. You will receive an on-screen confirmation once you have successfully completed this step.
- Clicking the “Back to Sign Up” button will return you to the master list, and your name(s) should now appear in the slot(s) you have reserved. Make your selections for each remaining city by clicking the tabs at the top of the page.