What is College Music Symposium?
Published in print form from 1960 thorugh 2010, College Music Symposium is the interdisciplinary journal of The College Music Society. The printed journal included scholarly articles, reviews, and reports of interest to the music community. Today, the online electronic journal, located at symposium.music.org, presents all of the materials from the past as well as new scholarship, composition, and performance.
Can I obtain articles from past issues of Symposium?
All articles from Symposium are availabe from JSTOR. The journal may be browsed and searched.
May I use articles from Symposium in my book or other publication, or in my classroom reading compliations?
It's easy for businesses, academic institutions, and individuals to secure permissions to reuse content from College Music Symposium through licensing services at Copyright.com. Copyright.com is operated by Copyright Clearance Center, a global rights broker that promotes the seamless sharing of knowledge by creating innovative licensing solutions that let academic institutions, businesses, and individuals quickly get permission to use copyright-protected materials. You can choose from a list of options regarding how you would like to reuse your desired content and complete the transaction. For complete information, please visit Copyright.com.
What is the future of Symposium?
Moving to online format, Symposium debuted in the fall of 2012 offering expanded service to CMS members, the music community, and the general public.
What does the online Symposium include?
Symposium consists of nine components:
- Scholarship, Research, and Creative Activity – refereed scholarly articles
- CMS Forums – opinions, editorials, commentary, and essays
- Reviews – reviews of books, textbooks, periodicals, and instructional materials
- Instructional Technologies and Methodologies – review and discussion of technologies and methods useful for teaching in the classroom and studio
- CMS Reports – in-depth reports concerning important topics, events, or issues
- CMS Conference Archive – abstracts of international, national, and regional conferences
- Events in Music – information concerning events in and outside academe
- Audio Performance Archive – the finest work of composers and performers
- International Music Conferences – events sponsored by over 275 organizations
- Lectures, Performances, and Lecture-Recitals – a video archive of refereed music lectures, performances, and lecture-recitals.
To whom is Symposium avialable?
Symposium is available to the general public and the music profession, sharing the fruits of research, performance, and music information with all.
How can I participate in this new endeavor?
CMS members are welcome to contribute their best work to Symposium. Information concerning submitting work to Symposium will be found here.