The NAMM Foundation and The College Music Society invite you to apply to participate in the 2020 NAMM-CMS Fellows Program, scheduled during the 2020 Summer NAMM Show in Nashville, Tennessee, July 9-11, 2020.
Application Deadline: April 1, 2020
The NAMM Foundation—College Music Society Fellows Program seeks to support individuals who exhibit commitment and aptitude for developing curricula related to business leadership and innovation in the music products industry. The Award is given each year to selected college and university music faculty members who demonstrate strong interest in expanding their knowledge about the music industry. Fellows may be chosen from any higher education music program, and preference will be given to colleagues without industry-related degrees or appointments, but who are interested to expand their programs to provide opportunities for students to interact with the music industry. Fellows will be encouraged to develop curricula related to music products, production, administration, management and/or marketing, as well as product creation and innovation. Following application and review, Fellows are selected and awarded a $1,000 stipend to support travel (transportation, hotel, registration, and meal costs) to attend Summer NAMM in Nashville, TN. Undergraduate, community college and graduate-level college and university faculty are eligible to apply. The Fellows Program seeks specially to enroll colleagues who represent the nine regions of The College Music Society. Preference will be given to colleagues from institutions that serve traditionally underrepresented student populations.
During Summer NAMM, the NAMM-CMS Fellows will participate in three days of specialized programming—including sessions on the music industry, curricula, and leadership development, as well as an afternoon tour of Nashville industry sites and conversations with industry leaders. Fellows will also learn more about The NAMM Foundation GenNext program presented in collaboration with The College Music Society that gathers over 2,500 college music students and faculty for career exploration workshops and events at The NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, each January. Additionally, Fellows will have opportunities to attend sessions of Summer NAMM—an event that attracts more than 14,000 music industry registrants and more than 1,600 brands representing more than $5 billion in buying power—to explore the trade floor, and to network with industry professionals. Fellows will also be special guests at the National Music Council’s annual Eagle Award ceremony which honors legendary musicians, and at the Top 100 Dealer Awards ceremony which celebrates the achievements of music retailers across the country and world.
Following the summer program, NAMM-CMS Fellows will continue to participate as members of the Fellows Alumni by (1) completing NAMM’s post-event survey, 2) submitting proposals for presentation and/or publication, 3) encouraging students to attend GenNext programming at The 2021 NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA January 20-24, 2021, and 4) providing continued leadership related to their roles as NAMM-CMS Fellows.
- Current member of The College Music Society (CMS)
- Currently employed faculty member in community college, college, or university music program, with plans for continued employment during the 2020-2021 academic year
- Preference will be given to candidates who 1) provide evidence of interest in gaining knowledge of the music industry and likelihood to use that knowledge to develop their professional portfolios and program curricula, 2) provide evidence of supporting The College Music Society's current common topic "Fostering Equity and Opportunity in Music," and 3) reflect the geographical diversity of the CMS.
- Awards are given once and are not renewable; recipients are not eligible to reapply for the same award.
Applications must be submitted online no later than Wednesday, April 1, 2020, at 11:59 PDT. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
To be considered for this award, please complete all sections of the online application and upload all required materials. Please note, if you have a Cybergrants record associated with another NAMM Foundation Award, please create a new record and “start a new application” via the link for The NAMM Foundation CMS Fellows Award. Only completed applications submitted by the stated deadline will be considered. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Apply via Cybergrants Web site using this URL
- Log in or Create an Account
First time users click on “Create your password” to set-up an account
Note: For Organization Name, enter your first and last name.
- Invitation Code is required: CMS20
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Welcome Page and click “Start a New Application.”
- IMPORTANT NOTE: For field “Organization name” enter your first and last name.
- Upload your CV
- Answer the following questions that explain your interest in the music products industry, including any industry-related classes or co-curricular activities that currently exist at your institution or that are in development, and that provides the following information about you and your accomplishments:
- How a NAMM Foundation CMS Fellow award will support your professional development and efforts to support students in their plans for careers in music.
- Your plans for developing or expanding music business offerings in your program including ways to engage students with the music industry.
- Why you feel you are qualified to be a recipient of The NAMM Foundation CMS Fellows Award.
If you are selected, you will be notified by April 22, 2020. A signed and returned grant agreement letter will be required. After this signed agreement is received by The NAMM Foundation, funds will be disbursed to help cover travel expenses to the Summer Show in Nashville, TN on July 9-11, 2020. Should you leave your position prior to completing the Spring 2020 semester and/or not be employed for the Fall 2020 semester, the award is forfeited, and funds must be returned to The NAMM Foundation.
Please note that Award Recipients are responsible for their own transportation and housing. Dates for Summer Show are July 9-11, 2020. Attendance is required at events listed in the following agenda (details subject to change):
Thursday, July 9, 2020 (Wednesday arrival recommended)
- Early morning—Fellows orientation to The NAMM Show and GenNext College Music Program
- Networking Lunch
- Tour of significant music industry sites and meetings with industry leaders
- VIP Seating at the American Eagle Awards
Friday, July 10, 2020
- Guided VIP tour of trade show floor
- Roundtable discussions with NAMM Foundation and music industry leaders
- SupportMusic Coalition on Coalitions Advocacy Lunch
- Additional industry-specific programming
- Faculty Mixer
Saturday, July 11, 2020
- Additional Fellows program activities and debrief
Award recipients will be required to submit a post event survey of their experience no later than August 15, 2020. Report requirements and submission details will be available online.
Awards are given once and are not renewable; recipients are not eligible to reapply for the same award.
NAMM Public Affairs & Government Relations |The NAMM Foundation
The College Music Society